Flu season is almost here and Christie Clinic will be offering the flu vaccine starting September 30th, 2017 (for other dates and locations, please visit www.christieclinic.com). You can also contact your Pediatrician to schedule an appointment.
October through May is the peak period in the United States when increased incidence of the flu are diagnosed. The flu is a contagious respiratory tract disease caused by influenza viruses, and it can cause both mild and severe symptoms even in healthy children. Fortunately, the flu can be prevented by annual influenza vaccinations and that is why we recommend getting your child vaccinated.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following concerning flu vaccinations:
1. All persons aged 6 months and above, who do not have contraindications.
2. All household contacts and caregivers for children who are less than 6 months of age.
How many doses?
1. One dose for children more than 8 years of age.
2. One dose for children aged 6 months – 8 years and who received 2 doses, or greater, of trivalent or quadrivalent flu vaccine before July 1, 2017
3. Two doses (given one month apart) if child aged between 6 months and 8 years and who did not or does not know if they received 2 doses, or greater, of trivalent or quadrivalent flu vaccine before July 1, 2017.
Vaccination should occur before the onset of the flu in the community, so schedule an appointment now to have your family vaccinated.